Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Pot Roast

When my mom came to visit me she bought me my first crockpot and I have to say I love it! When we bought it we also bought a book filled with slow cooker recipes from individuals all over the country. That book alone has probably 15-20 recipes for pot roast in it so it can be different for everyone, mine is pretty simple

I knew this was going to be a long week/weekend because my husband is training farther from home than usual and we got our to german shepards neutered on Monday so I made a pretty big roast to ensure we'd have plenty of leftovers in case I didn't find time to cook.

For ours I took a 3 lb chuck roast and gave it a decent covering on both sides of garlic powder and pepper. I also dusted it with salt, but I'm not a huge salt person so I didn't use a lot. I sliced 1 large onion and made, what I refer to as, a stand for the roast to make sure it doesn't burn or anything on the bottom. I laid down the onion slices, added 1/4 cup of water and laid the roast on top. I then covered it and let it cook on low for 3 hours.

While the roast was cooking I cut up 6 small gold potatoes and 6 carrots. These don't take as long to cook as the roast so I always add these to the pot at the three hour mark and then cook on low for another 2.5 hours.

If you haven't used your crockpot before make sure to check on your roast at about 5 hours. This same roast in my moms crock pot could take up to 8 hours on low so, it all depends on your pot.

I love this because it's easy, you just put it together and go and then you have a meal for the night as well as left overs. My husband loves to slice up the roast and make sandwiches the next couple days. He always makes me laugh, this week it was white bread, roast, pickles and ranch dressing I think. He switches between ranch and peanut butter sometimes, but it always makes me laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment