Tuesday, June 12, 2012

In N Out of the house all day

My entire life I have been kind of a busy body. I love to have way to many things to do and pride myself on always getting them done. The only problem that arises in this situation is the number of encounters I've had with fast food restaurants.

Before I found out I was gluten free I ate everywhere. My two favorites were McDonald's (yes I was one of those kids) and Port of Subs. O how I miss POS. Nevertheless, when I found out about my gluten intolerance I began looking up restaurants and fast-food restaurants which offered gluten free food. To my surprise, there are a lot of things cooked in gluten in the fast-food/restaurant industry, however, there are some restaurants that pay attention to the growing need for a gluten free alternative. I will have to make a list of them shortly. My friend Lauren's mom is gluten free and they have a great book that lists restaurants all over the country that

If you are one of those people who spends a lot of time eating out of house meals there are a great number of aps and books which provide not only lists of places, but lists of food. One of the most important things I learned is to never be afraid to ask. It amazes me how many restaurants actually do have allergy alert menus. At first I just decided to go the salad route, I figured that was safe, but there are actually a lot of ingredients and dressings that have wheat in them.


Some of my favorite fast-food places are:
  • In-N-Out 
    • I had this today. It is fast and easy and since they make their own fries they are gluten and corn oil free and order a protein style anything and you're good to go. The burger sauce has corn syrup in it though, for anyone who is corn conscious.
  • Carl's JR. (Hardees)
    • They too offer a protein style hamburger called the low-carb burger, and their original fries (not the crisscut :/ are gluten free)


Some of my favorite restaurants/fast-food sit downs:

  • Applebee's
  • BJ's Brewery 
    • BJ's Brewery has made a gluten free pizza that is pretty amazing. I am secretly convince they make it with corn flour but I'd rather not ask lol.  They also have an allergy menu if you request it.
  • Buffalo Wild Wings
  • Jimmy Johns
    • Jimmy Johns' "unwich" is a great alternative for those who are gluten free and it still tastes great!
  • Red Robin
    • Being somewhat of a traditional American restaurant it is hard to have an extensive variety of gluten free meals but red robin does a great job at accommodating those who need it. They have an entire book of allergies and what you can and cannot eat and they even recreated their special fry seasoning a year or so ago to make it gluten free!
These are the places I go most often, however, there are ssssooo many more. When I first went gluten free I was afraid I'd have to eat home-cooked only for the rest of my life. It wouldn't be bad but sometimes you just need to get out :) and more and more restaurants are making that easier for allergy alert and gluten intolerant people to do! I'll check back in for a book and ap update soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment